Solar Shelter Kit by Enlight achieves 95% overall user satisfaction, survey concludes
The beneficiaries have spoken – we are pleased to share with you the user satisfaction survey results of the first-ever Solar Shelter Kit by Enlight, the newly launched solar brand of NRS Relief. The Solar Shelter Kit is our latest technology solar lamp with phone charging option and separate solar panel, specifically designed for use in humanitarian settings.
In partnership with the International Federation of the Red Cross – Shelter Research Unit, PRACTICA Foundation, and Red Cross Senegal, we recently commissioned (i) a user satisfaction survey with Solar Shelter Kit beneficiaries from the Dagana region in Northern Senegal and (ii) a technical study focusing on the solar panel fixation system. The study aimed to establish the end-user satisfaction and assess the key product features (such as packaging, durability, brightness and user-friendliness) of our fit-for-purpose solar lamp.
Solar Shelter Kit – a highly appreciated product
Based on the findings, it can be concluded that the Solar Shelter Kit in use fulfills its intended function. It is a highly appreciated product, achieving 95% of overall user satisfaction. Beneficiaries commend the Solar Shelter Kit for its brightness, versatility and protection purposes. No design flaws were discovered during the period of observation.
Other key findings
The report further shows:
- 98% full satisfaction regarding the light performance
- 92% of the people were satisfied and understood directly what was inside the box
- 97% of the beneficiaries agreed the product is easy to carry. They use it at daytime for charging phones and at nighttime for lighting purposes
- 86% of the beneficiaries are fully satisfied of the product robustness
- 93% of the beneficiaries appreciated the charging time
- 95% of the people were happy with the instructions
- 74% of the people appreciated the lacer (rope) system, for fixation and carrying around neck
- 97% of the beneficiaries are happy with the charging capacity
- 97% declare that the product is (much) better than what they have used in the past.
Solar lamp testing
The solar lamp testing was concentrated on the most vulnerable situation where there was no rural electricity supply. During the rainy season or “hivernage” the road conditions are often impracticable which makes communication difficult. As a consequence, the purchase of batteries for the lighting device or to charge the telephones becomes impossible.
The project dealt with more than one field test. It concerns four separate field tests, involving 84 different families which represent a total number of at least 420 people as the families are always composed of a minimum of five people.
In order to ensure the relevance of the project, the existence of a real need within the targeted populations and the access to the sites, key local actors were identified and involved in the project. These actors include the Senegalese Red Cross Society (CRS), Luxembourg Red Cross (LRC) and the local authorities of the concerned towns.
Solar panel fixation study
A supporting study was conducted by Practica Foundation to evaluate the solar panel fixation system provided with the solar lamp.
Shelter specialists were responsible in advising and guiding beneficiaries during the implementation of the Solar Shelter Kits and the fixation of the solar panels. The shelter specialist of the Red Cross Senegal provided valuable product feedback on the solar panel securing system, given the experiences they have gained during interventions in different settings.
The Solar Shelter Kit comes with a ‘smart panel’ with four holes to provide diverse fixation solutions in order to secure the panel to the shelter of the beneficiary.
Based on the activities and discussions, the following feedback has been collected:
From the shelter experts:
Securing the solar panel to a roof structure is relevant. The supplied solar panel with its holes does serve its purpose. It provides an opportunity to secure the panel to certain roof structures.
Materials found on local markets to secure the panel will be ropes, strip of inner tube, electrical wire, metal wire and nails. A simple frame around the solar panel with different slots and holes of different sizes, to be customized with locally available materials, would provide such a general solution.
From the beneficiaries:
People confirm the need for the (temporary) securing of the solar panel on the shelter. All the respondents claimed that placing the panel on the ground was not an option because children or animals could and will damage it.
There was no consensus between the beneficiaries on whether to leave the solar panel outside on the shelter or to get it inside during the night. Those in favor of bringing the panel inside were afraid of theft. This group forms the vast majority of the interviewees. Those in favor of keeping it outside were afraid that handling the panel too often would result in damage.
To avoid damage to the solar panel, beneficiaries insisted on the ability to safely store the panel inside. Children play inside the shelter so the temporary securing of the panel is also relevant inside the shelter.
Specific conclusions and recommendations
From the user interaction research, the survey concludes that:
- The Solar Shelter Kit proves to be a versatile, and therefor valued, tool. The neck strap provides a solution for beneficiaries to position the light on the ceiling in an angle so it shines in a preferred way.
- The 4 holes system provided with the Solar Shelter Kit forms a feature of added value that is used by beneficiaries to secure the panel as needed. This hole option fulfills a dual role much appreciated by the beneficiaries.
- The majority of end-users want to take the panel inside during the night. During the day, there appears to be enough social control to leave the panel on top of their shelter.
- Each beneficiary has its own preference on how to secure the solar panel to their shelter. The preferred method also heavily depends on the roof type. The universality of a flexible solution has been really appreciated and experimented by the end users.
To know more about our Solar Shelter Kit innovation, click here.
To download the Solar Shelter Kit technical specifications sheet, click here.